Insect Lesson

Not even three weeks away from the wedding day! I have so much I need to do tonight still by tomorrow but I want take this time to procrastinate wedding stuff as long as I can! 

Tonight Jake and I went with some of our friends from high school to Valentino's and fortunately for us, the electricity went out right as we were going to pay. Everyone in the restaurant got free meals :)

I just went outside to see this lovely specimen on my porch that I watched struggle to get off of his back this morning and then on my way back from work he was slowly still struggling and then recently he keeled over and gave up. When I took the photo he was still slightly moving. Each time I almost helped the thing back up, but then I realized that wasps sting. And since I'm a cautious person who has never been stung by a wasp I'm afraid of getting "hurt" and afraid I'd be allergic like Dad so I run like a crazy person usually. 

I just thought this wasp's two long tail projections and different colored antennaes were so cool. (Maybe you all see these all the time and I just don't enjoy nature enough - regardless I had to do some research to learn more about him)

This top photo is my wasp....the rest are from google images. I think it belongs to the "Giant Ichneumon" family, or genus, or class, or whatever phylum organization that describes....the MCAT is over ok. I already forgot those specificities :/





This one I guess is laying eggs through it's long tail projection.





This one is a different species, notice the different coloring patterns.


This one is one that someone else found in their yard online, looks very similar to mine. I was doing some research and found that they usually aren't found in Nebraska? Weird, hope my wasp didn't lay eggs anywhere.


Secondly, as I was googling images of wasps and getting scared of getting stung. I thought I should familiarize myself with the classic terror: the brown recluse. Close your eyes and scroll down if you hate gross images...I can't tell what's gross and what's not anymore for normal people who don't study and talk about "gross" things all day. Jake usually reminds me what is appropriate conversation topics...especially when we are at the dinner table.



The poison from this guy is insane!! Oh my gosh!






Interesting stuff, right? Well now that we've all got the feeling of creepy crawlies on our skin.... I need to get my final flower numbers ordered in for the wedding by tonight so I'd better start working on that :)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment